All the better to see you with.

by Elizabeth on January 12, 2013 · 10 comments

in Life

Last week I made an appointment with a new optometrist for an eye checkup, since it’s been a couple of years since I last thought about my eyeballs.  My last optometrist was memorable for all the wrong reasons, in that I once asked him a casual question about one of my eyes and he responded, Have you ever been to Africa? It’s probably a parasite.

I haven’t been to Africa, actually, but thanks for that.  The nightmares have been a real awakening.

This morning I asked the same question of my new eyeballogist and she apologised on behalf of the entire industry for her colleague.  She confirmed that I’m not hosting a brain-eating worm and instead offered to take photographs of the backs of my eyes in order to properly investigate it.  The photos she took cost me about the same price as a glamour portrait session so I’m somewhat compelled to frame them and hang them over the TV, but the good news is that my eyes are in perfect health.  No glaucoma, no macular degeneration, and no illegal tenants.

I bought these beautiful babies and now I have to wait two weeks for them to arrive.  They say business at the front, party at the side, and No Trespassing to organisms who depend on my body for nutrients.

It was worth the extra few bucks for that feature.

BVLGARI-347074001-2

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Kate Reid January 12, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Phew! No parasite and stunning specs. Double win!

Elizabeth January 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Your profile picture is amazing.  I think maybe I chose the wrong pair of glasses today.

Cj Jones January 12, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Love the sparkles

Elizabeth January 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Me too!  I wasn’t looking for bling, but the sparkles spoke to me today.

Cara January 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I had an optometrist who, once I told him that I could be allergic to the silicone contact lenses he was trying to get me to use, told me about a women who was allergic to cold water…. I think he was trying to put it in perspective, but I was always a bit hesitant after that…
Specs look lovely!

Sarai January 21, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hahaha this post made me laugh. Doctors just have diarrhea of the mouth sometimes. I don’t think they realize how vulnerable we are sitting in those chairs just waiting to hear what’s wrong with us.

Elizabeth January 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I’m yet to enter the world of contacts, but I’d love to give them a try for the sake of my photography.  My eyesight is pretty good really, but my weakest eye is the one I stick in the viewfinder!

Your optometrist and my former optometrist sound like they’d be great friends.

Elizabeth January 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm

That’s so true.  I can’t say that I’m at my most serene when I’m put in a dark room and told to stick my face in a machine!

But surely doctors and other medical professionals are patients sometimes too, right?

Rose February 23, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Your story made husband and I cracked up. He’s an optometrist who would never say anything like that. He just send to a specialist so he ?wouldn’t have to give give you the bad news. So glad you got a clean bill of health. Definitely give contacts a try, love mine. I’ve been wearing them for more than 15 years. My parents are at 25 years.