This ridiculous task is part of my mission to complete 101 Things in 1001 Days.
Some of the major regrets in my life:
- Begging to have my hair permed when I was 12, and succeeding
- The time I was hit by a bus on my way to a funeral
- That month-long period in Year 10 when the boy I had a crush on flirted with me like crazy, and I just thought he was being a weirdo
- Navigating LAX with three small children; and
- Wasting 3 weeks of my life on this effing jigsaw puzzle.
I think the lowest point during this project was when I grabbed the scissors from the kitchen drawer, intending to re-shape a puzzle piece that I believed with ALL MY HEART should have fit in a particular spot. There was a lot of Tim Talking Liz Down From the Ledge and Sure, Chocolate Can Be Dinner and Liz? Maybe You Should Go To Bed Now during the course of these 56.5 hours. Also swearing and crying and flipping the bird at objects that could only be described as inanimate.
But maybe, maybe there were also some good moments. Like the sort of conversations that only happen when you’re trapped in a room together and the TV is off. And maybe it wasn’t entirely terrible to listen to Richard Mercer’s Love Song Dedications on the radio, even if my boyfriend made it clear that he will never publicly glorify our love with a Whitney Houston power ballad.
The thing is, we did it and nobody died. We agreed that Tim wouldn’t touch the puzzle unless I was working on it (in order to satisfy the vague criteria of my list) and whenever we were puzzling, we were filming too.
Thank God we were able to capture all of our poor nutritional decisions on camera.